What to Do if Your Pet Eats Halloween Candy

October 10, 2018 10:03 pm Published by Leave your thoughts

The fall season is chock full of spooky things and bumps in the night. Unfortunately, all of the fun frights can easily turn into actual horror if your beloved pet eats something that they’re not supposed to. Dogs, cats and other small animals have sensitive stomachs and curious tastes, meaning that there’s a chance they could get into something that may make them sick, and could eventually require you to seek the help of a veterinarian.

While each pet will respond differently to different foods due to a range of conditions ranging from genetic predispositions to preexisting conditions, there are some candies that will always cause adverse reactions in your pets. If your pet consumes a large amount of anything other than specially formulated pet food, it may be a good idea to give your local veterinarian a call and ask their advice.

Here are just some of the most common types of candies, and the different reactions they could cause in your dog or cat in Bolivar, MO:

  • Candy corn and mallow: Candy corn and other mallow-y treats are made almost exclusively of pure sugar. If your pet eats candy corn, it could cause them to become bloated and gassy. Additionally, high sugar foods can cause heart rates to accelerate.
  • Wrappers: Candy wrapped in foil or even some thin plastics may be tempting treats for your pet. Cats, in particular, like to play with shiny, crinkly-sounding items, and they may become curious and try to eat the foil or wrapper. Plastic and foil ingestion may lead to dangerous intestinal blockages.
  • Hard candy: Dogs love aromatic hard candies. In addition to being made out of primarily harmful sugars and flavorings, hard candies also pose a choking hazard for your pet. If a dog in Bolivar, MO gets into a candy bowl, it may cause them to inhale small pieces.
  • Chocolate covered raisins: Both chocolate and raisins themselves are potentially deadly for dogs. Raisins and other grape products cause acute kidney failure in dogs, which can lead to death if not treated immediately. Likewise, chocolate contains chemicals that can cause pets to vomit, seize up and worse. Keep grapes, raisins and chocolate away from your pets.
  • Sugar-free candy and gum: Many sugar-free candies and gums include an ingredient called xylitol, which is a synthetic sugar substitute. Xylitol is exceptionally toxic to both dogs and cats; it causes an almost immediate drop in blood sugar that results in lethargy, seizures and more. Many pets that survive xylitol exposure later die of liver failure.

Since 1972, Animal Care Clinic of Bolivar has been a trusted veterinarian. We provide high-quality veterinary care for all your furry friends, including cats, dogs, exotic pets and farm animals. If you believe that your pet ate something they shouldn’t have, are looking for a dependable provider of routine veterinary care or have questions about pet safety in Bolivar, MO this Halloween season, reach out to one of our friendly and knowledgeable associates as soon as possible. We’ll provide you with expert advice or schedule an appointment for your furry friend.

Categorised in: , ,

This post was written by Writer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *