Is your four-legged friend a little too furry? Shedding is a common problem for dog owners. Your best friend’s fur is a lot like sand or glitter—it can find its way everywhere. Fortunately, your veterinarian in Bolivar, MO can help.
If you’d like to reduce your dog’s shedding, use the following simple tips. You’ll find that you and your dog are happier – and less hairy.
- Brush: Are you brushing your dog regularly? Ask your veterinarian to recommend the best type of brush for your dog’s hair type. Some dogs have double coats, so be sure to use a grooming tool that is designed to remove shedding hair for these breeds. Then, use this brush frequently. During shedding seasons (fall and spring), brush your dog at least twice each week. While you can’t eliminate shedding entirely, regular brushing will minimize the amount of hair your dog sheds around the home and on you.
- Bathe: Combine regular brushing with regular bathing to reduce your dog’s shedding. Brush your pal before his bath, and use a detangling product if his fur tends to get matted when wet. If your dog is a heavy shedder, you should bathe him twice each month to minimize the shedding.
- Blow: Be sure to follow up your dog’s bath with a blow-dry. Use warm air, not hot. As you dry his coat, brush your dog to remove any loose hair. Continue this drying and brushing process until the fur is no longer damp.
- Brush again: You may feel like you’ve already thoroughly brushed your dog during his blow-dry, but you should do it again after his coat is completely dry. You’ll find that you remove a lot more hair at this point. Yes, it’s a little extra work, but removing it now will prevent later removal from your furniture and carpet.
- Beautify: Do you ever have your dog clipped? If your dog has a thick coat that creates a significant shedding issue, consider clipping. This can be especially helpful during the hot Michigan summers. Ask your veterinarian in Bolivar, MO to recommend a groomer and the appropriate length for your dog’s coat.
- Banquet: What does your dog feast on daily? His diet can affect the amount of shedding he experiences. Certain nutrients, such as Omega 3 fatty acids, can reduce shedding and encourage healthy skin. If your dog is shedding excessively, consider altering his diet or adding supplements. Consult with your veterinarian to determine what diet would be best for your friend.
If you are concerned about the abundance of fur your dog loses each day, don’t hesitate to contact your local veterinarian in Bolivar, MO. The experts at Animal Care Clinic of Bolivar are here to help. We can determine if your dog’s shedding is due to a concerning issue or is normal for its breed. We can then recommend the right course of treatment to keep your dog happy and healthy. Contact us today at 417-326-2997.
Categorised in: Dog
This post was written by Writer